Resources by Project Partners
Below you will find a collection of resources ranging from topics such as safety, ethics and inclusion to investigation methods, tools and best practices for journalists, media organizations and other civil society members using investigation as a means to expose issues in their communities or across borders.
These resources have been developed throughout decades of experience by the CIJI project partners - Reporters Without Borders, Free Press Unlimited, Tactical Tech - and some will be expanded and adapted during the CIJI project.
- Safety of Journalists – a series of resources focused on physical, psycho-social, digital and legal safety for journalists, including safety courses and curriculum, support for journalists in distress, rapid response, an emergency fund and a legal defense fund for journalists. By Free Press Unlimited.
- Security-in-a-Box – a toolkit covering basic digital security principles such as how to create strong passphrases and avoid malware, how to choose tools in context, and step-by-step instructions to help you install, configure and use essential digital-security software and services. Developed by Tactical Tech and Front Line Defenders along with a global network of activists, trainers and digital security experts. (available in multiple languages.)
- Data Detox Kit – online series of articles and tutorials focused on everyday steps you can take to control your digital privacy, security, and wellbeing. By Tactical Tech (available in multiple languages.)
- Holistic Security – a manual taking a complex approach to physical, digital and emotional security and wellbeing for civil society groups. It also includes a Trainer's Manual for those wishing to provide holistic security workshops to others: https://holistic-security.tacticaltech.org/trainers-manual.html. By Tactical Tech.
- Journalism Trust Initiative - a project that develops and implements indicators for trustworthiness of journalism and promotes compliance with professional norms and ethics. It is mainly dedicated to news media outlets allowing them to self-assess their editorial processes and increase their transparency. By Reporters Without Borders.
- Gender and Media Resource Guide - resources supporting the promotion of gender equality in and through media, including: gender equality in media content and in the media sector, campaigning and advocacy, gender
- Gender and Technology - includes gender security training curricula available in English, Spanish and Portuguese and is a resource that introduces a holistic, feminist perspective to privacy and digital security trainings, informed by years of working with women and trans activists and researchers around the world. By Tactical Tech (available in multiple languages.)
- Media Viability - a resource guide containing information on what media viability is in general, the issues that affect and influence media outlets and most importantly what media outlets can do to boost their viability. By Free Press Unlimited.
- Media and COVID-19 Resource Space - a space to find information and resources on the continuation of journalistic work during the COVID-19 pandemic. By Free Press Unlimited.
- Media Fostering Accountability Resource Guide - an overview of the many dimensions of the media fostering accountability including evidence and resources as well as examples from the track record of Free Press Unlimited‘s work in supporting media outlets across the world.
- Media Advocacy Resource Guide - a resource exploring the conditions influencing an enabling environment for media and journalists including an analysis of legal, political, economic and technological environments; the role of multilateral and intergovernmental organisations, and an overview of advocacy strategies, toolkits and resources. By Free Press Unlimited.
- Exposing the Invisible - The Kit – an online self-learning resource for investigators including method guides , ethics and safety awareness basics. By Tactical Tech (available in multiple languages.)
- Exposing the Invisible (ETI) - Tactical Tech project that promotes investigation as one of the most important forms of public engagement through a series of films, interviews, podcasts, guides and articles looking at different techniques, tools and methods along with the individual practices of those working at the new frontiers of investigation.